Tuesday, February 6, 2018

Surf's Up


Surfs up. 

In my younger days I never would have believed that I would have taken up surfing in my sixties. Especially living no where near an ocean. But I must say that I've become quite a proficient surfer. Cowabunga!

Of course, I'm actually talking about surfing the net!  It has become one of my favorite pastimes, and has probably crossed over to an addiction. But to be honest, I really have a hard time remembering how we lived prior to the internet?

I have never been an early adopter when it comes to technology. In fact, I never owned an eight track player, and went straight from albums to cassettes. I've never played a video game on a television screen, and I think my only other attempt was on a Ms Pacman game while waiting for my meal at Del Taco, back in the early eighties, but that's a whole other story in itself. 

Surprisingly, though I preordered and stood in line to pick up my first i pad the day it came out. That's when the love affair began. I had owned a little i touch before, but realized it's limitations due to its small size. When the i pad was advertised I knew I wanted in. It's arrival came out almost a year after I retired, and it has been a part of my life ever since. 

Facebook has allowed me to reconnect and stay in touch with so many past friends. Pinterest is my recipe go to. Podcasts and Ted Talks have not only entertained me, but have instructed me as well. 

Blogs have inspired and encouraged me to become a blogger in my own right. Any time I have the least bit of interest in anything I know the answer is just a click away. My collection of photos over the years brings hours of enjoyment as I walk down memory lane. 

I've learned new cooking techniques and have completed craft projects just by watching a You Tube video. I've read books on my Kindle, binged on Netflix, and even have paid my bills using this little workhorse. 

I've listened to music, written posts, found my new house, and used its gps feature to plan my next adventure. To be honest, I would have to claim surfing as both a hobby and a vice. I know spending too much time doing anything probably isn't good, so finding a balance when it comes to the net is probably wise. 


Of course, I can't say I'm there yet. It's hard to resist a good wave. 

No comments:

Post a Comment