Tuesday, February 28, 2017

The Last Goodbye


The last goodbye. Have you ever thought that the last time you saw someone it might be the last time you would see them? Now the reality is that this could be a possibility each day, but it is something that is too painful to dwell on. If we did, each day would break our heart. But a little over a year ago my eighty-nine year old aunt, my father's sister, flew down from Boston to see her baby brother for the last time. Their three day visit was full of childhood memories, quiet time together, and hugs goodbye. On that last day before she had to leave for the airport we went to visit Dad once again.  As she was leaving Dad hugged her, and called both her and me his sweetheart. Before she left the room she turned one last time to wave goodbye. Dad blew her a kiss. That image will be burned in my memory forever; such a sweet, simple loving act. My eyes welled with tears as we continued down the hall. She would never see him again in this earthly life. My aunt is a stoic, faithful woman who has devoted her entire life to God through the religious life. I feel certain she knows that one day she will not only be reunited with my Dad, but with all her brothers and her sister again. It takes strength to say that last goodbye and to be honest, it broke my heart to see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment