Tuesday, February 21, 2017

The Vocation of Daughter


The vocation of daughter. 

My church teaches about the calling of vocation. Simply put vocation is, "a function or station in life to which one is called by God." I have found myself in the vocation of wife, mother, grandmother, sister, friend and teacher. However, my role as daughter has been front and center the last few years. 

Although I was not my father's physical caretaker, I was tasked with the responsibility of caring for his and my stepmother's affairs. At times this  required many hours of work, as well as worry as I figured out each step along the way. 

Luckily however, I was supported throughout the process by the people I met.  Prior to this experience I was reluctant to ask for help, but I soon learned about the kindness of strangers. Time and time again my aching heart was comforted by others who seemed to be placed along my path. I never took a step alone. 



As we cleaned out Dad's room the other day I realized that my time as daughter was over. Beyond taking care of his estate I will no longer be needed in this role. Although, in many ways I feel as if a weight has been lifted, I also am so grateful that I was given the privledge of being there for him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment