Monday, February 20, 2017

"Do You Know Shari?"


"Do you know Shari?"

My sweet father passed away last week. I will miss him dearly. Two weeks ago, though, I received a gift from him that I will always cherish. I was visiting him, and when I said, "Hi Dad," he said to his neighbor, "Do you know Shari?"

Now this may seem unremarkable, except that I couldn't remember the last time he had actually said my name. Although, I always felt that he recognized me, the dementia had robbed his ability to remember names. 

In fact, a few months before he introduced me as one of his many daughters. I was quite pleased with that remark. Often times, those first few words would be the only ones that made sense. Dementia can make your ability to communicate a struggle.  

As much as I had tried to prepare myself for the enevitable, I was only kidding myself. How do you say goodbye to the man who has been your father for sixty years? 

It was a privledge to be his daughter, and a privledge to care for him in his latter years. I hope to pass along his legacy. 


I love you Dad!

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Shari, I feel your loss. That was truly a special parting gift to name you and honor you. Thank-you for sharing this tender moment.

    ReplyDelete