Friday, February 3, 2017

The Apartment


The apartment. 

With the passing of Mary Tyler Moore last week I couldn't help but be reminded of her dreamy apartment. As a young girl I naturally assumed that just like having a body like Barbie, I would also one day have a really cool apartment like Mary. 

I remember in high school designing my dream apartment for a class project. I spent many hours lovingly cutting out magazine pictures as I carefully made each decision. I chose the same yellow and green color palette that Mary's apartment sported. I was quite pleased with the end results. 

Several years later when I began my teaching career I moved into my first apartment with my best friend. Our excitement could not be overshadowed by the fact that our furniture choices were few. Our childhood bedroom sets found their new home there, along with bean bag chairs and a borrowed kitchen table. One of her co-workers taking pity on us offered an upholstered chair she no longer needed and we gladly scooped it up rotating who got to sit there. 

Eventually, we were able to move up to a living room suite, a lamp and our own kitchen table. Although simple, our apartment did have a charm of its own, even though it wasn't quite as sophisticated as Mary's.  What I did learn, though, was that just because you dreamed about something didn't mean you always had the financial means to make that dream come true. 

It's easy when you are young to just assume that things will work out the way you imagined. My meager beginning teacher salary was a reality, but I also learn that there wasn't just one road to happiness. My best friend and I grew to love that apartment, and still enjoy reminiscing about the memories we shared there. 



No comments:

Post a Comment