Thursday, February 9, 2017

Caretakers


Caretakers. 

If you have a loved one in the care of others you might find yourself becoming very attached to their caretakers. In many ways they become a part of your extended family. Especially if it becomes apparent that they have a deep fondness for your loved one. 

My Dad has had the good fortune to have been cared for by a very special activity director at his Memory Care facility. Time and time again she has gone over and above to make Dad's experience there a positive one. She was responsible for a beautiful tribute to his life which included getting him to proudly wear his Army uniform again. My Dad just lit up that day and we had a small glimpse of the Dad we used to know. 

She was always faithful to text me special pictures of Dad whenever he was on an outing. She would greet me with a smile and a hug, and would refer to Dad as "Boss."

I found out this week that she had accepted a position at a different facility, and I found myself with a lump in my throat. Over the last two years I have seen people come and go and I suppose this  may go with the territory, but it doesn't make it any easier. 

I always try to thank those who care for Dad and let them know how much I appreciate them. It takes a special person to work with the elderly, and we feel very blessed that Dad's life has been touched by so many. 



1 comment: