Monday, February 13, 2017

Daffodils


Daffodils. 

A friend of mine posted the lovely picture of daffodils you see in today's posting. Daffodils always remind me of my mother. 

She had a true love of gardening. One spring she decided that it was time for her to have the garden of her dreams. She put all of her kids to work weeding, and she planted some beautiful flowers. Our backyard was a sight to behold. 

Reluctantly I went along with her gardening dreams tolerating the dirt beneath my fingernails. I had not inherited her love of gardening as I was more my father's daughter, and much preferred to be reading than planting. 

One fall Mom planted some daffodil bulbs, and took great pleasure in watching them bloom the next spring. As life sometimes does it takes a different turn from what we have planned. She never saw those daffodils bloom again because her life was cut short within the year. 



However, those daffodils did bloom again, and presented us with a beautiful reminder of our mother a few months after her death. I've learned from her untimely passing not to take things for granted, and to enjoy the simple blessings of life. Each year when those first daffodils bloom I can't help but be reminded of Mom. 

No comments:

Post a Comment