Wednesday, October 19, 2016

True Riches


True riches. 

"There are two ways to be rich-one in the abundance of your possessions and the other in the fewness of your wants." E. Stanley Jones seems to have his priorities straight. 

During the course of our lives we place a great emphasis on gathering possessions. We strive for larger homes, add to our collections, and eventually begin to pay a monthly storage bill.  However, eventually, if we live long enough, our possessions will get whittled down to just a few. What once took such a high priority, will no longer matter.

As I have been contemplating what to keep and what to give away I found Jones' quote to be helpful. I like the idea of my life being based more on what I don't want vs always revolving around the next purchase. Perhaps the rule of thumb regarding only bringing something new in by getting rid of something old might result in a less crowded home. I can't help but compare my capacity for ownership to the creature who grows to the size of its container. Choosing to live less large might actually result in choosing the better life. 



No comments:

Post a Comment