Friday, October 21, 2016

Letting Go


Letting go. 

Psychologist Havelock Ellis is credited with saying, "All the art of living lies in a fine mingling of letting go and holding on." 

This has been my life for the last few weeks. Attempting to decide what to keep and what to discard. However, in the scheme of life there really are bigger fish to fry. Ellis is correct that in life we have to let go even though we would love nothing more than to hold on. 

What makes our possessions hard to let go of are the memories they hold. As much as I want to hold onto my daughter's childhood I have to let go. As much as I want to hold onto my time as a teacher I need to let go of my old teaching tools. However, what I don't have to discard are the many fond memories. I've kept a record of my daughter's accomplishments throughout the years, and I've made a scrapbook dedicated to all the wonderful students I have taught. I take pleasure in pursuing them both. 



I remember once hearing that you could not receive with a clenched hand. I think I'd rather approach life with an empty hand ready to be filled with future memories. Letting go has become easier already. 

2 comments:

  1. I resonate with the clenched fist not able to receive. BTW, I found some nice comments you left a year ago on my blog. Thank-you, do you remember how we found each other!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was during the Thirty-one Day Challenge. I have enjoyed following your 31 Days this year as well. I really do appreciate your comments and always look forward to hearing from you.

      Delete