Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Worries


Worries. 

I read a quotation the other day by philosopher, John Locke that really resonated with me. He wrote, "What worries you masters you."

How could five words pack such a punch? 

If you are not a worrier by nature, then count your blessings. If you can go through life care free then how lucky you are. For some, though, worry seems to be a default switch, that consciously needs to be turned off. 

However, Locke's words are true, because your worries will guide your steps, determine your actions or more importantly lack of actions. Your worries will grow horns and haunt you day or night. However, not to lose hope, you do have control over whether you want to be a servant to this master. 

I used to worry a lot in my twenties when my life was not following the preconceived path I had assumed it would. I find myself worrying now about the future of my dad and step- mother. But the reality is that I do not own a crystal ball, and have no idea of what tomorrow might bring. 

What I do know, though, is that I will not get a refund on the time I loose to worry. So today, I choose not to worry and place my trust in a power infinitely greater than myself. 



1 comment:

  1. No refund of wasted time worrying? Ah, shucks, I was hoping I would. You made a good point there.

    ReplyDelete