Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Art is Art


Art is art. 

"There is no wrong or right with art- art is art."

I'm reading a really fun book entitled Color Me Creative. It is the work of Instagram sensation and artist Kristina Webb. These are her words, and I found them to be inspiring. Kristina is a truly gifted artist, and showed great promise from early on, however, she felt restrained by the confines of her art education. Too many rules and regulations led to her frustration. 

I can relate to this a little. I remember taking an art class in junior high school and making a B. I had made an A in all my other courses, but this one B kept me off the A Honor Roll. I never once took an art class again through high school. I don't really think it was my lack of effort that resulted in the B, it probably was more a lack of natural ability. The sad part, though, was that I really loved art, and found satisfaction in being an "artist." 

Unfortunately, my need to strive for perfection in my school career got in the way of my love for art. I took several art classes in college, and even considered a career in interior design, but once again my lack of confidence in my drawing ability held me back. 

I only wish I had an art teacher like my friend, Laverne, who encourages the artist in all her students. How lucky those children are to be seen this way in her eyes. She remembers that, "Art is art."





2 comments:

  1. You picked a subject close to my art. Art is for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reading your blog has encouraged me. I went to a Bible journaling class the other night. So far I've done one page, but am looking forward to doing more.

      Delete