Sunday, October 13, 2024

Wabi Sabi- Day 11





 As Wabi Sabi teaches us about the impermanence of life it also reminds us that suffering is included in these imperfections. This is something we don’t like to hear. As much as we may try to avoid or resist suffering there are times when doing so can actually make things worse. 


“Acceptance is about surrendering to the truth of what is happening and then playing an active role in deciding what happens next.”


Sometimes you have to allow yourself time to rest and recover. When I badly sprained my ankle a few years ago I had to accept the fact that it would take months to fully recover. Initially I gave myself time to stay off my ankle before slowly attempting to walk again. 


I remember pushing the cart at the grocery store recalling how easily it was to walk before my accident. Part of the suffering included the pain associated with the injury, but also the restrictions it imposed on my independence. 


I learned to ask for help when needed, and kept a mindset to continue on a little more each day. It also taught me to appreciate the things we often take for granted knowing how quickly they can change. 


No comments:

Post a Comment