Tuesday, October 1, 2024

Wabi Sabi- Day 1





 According to Google the definition of wabi-sabi is a “Japanese aesthetic and world view that emphasizes finding beauty in imperfection, impermanence or simplicity.” 


In May I began reading a book by Beth Kempton entitled Wabi Sabi. I’ve actually been in no hurry to finish it, and have savored it in the mornings as I’ve sat quietly by myself on the back porch. 


I really enjoyed the unseasonably cool summer we had  this summer, and am missing the delightful hummingbirds who came each morning to feed.


I’ve taken notes along the way, and have decided to record some of the wisdom I’ve gleaned through a series I’ll be posting 


Over the last ten years or so I’ve become quite fascinated by the Japanese culture. Japan has always held a special place in my heart because it is the place of my conception. Could it be possible that I have somehow formed a connection with a place I’ve never really seen? 


As I reread the definition I know for a fact that I was intrigued by the Voluntary Simplicity movement of the nineties, and have struggled with my own imperfections over the years. Finding beauty in imperfection seems to go against my Western sensibilities. But I am drawn toward the idea of wabi sabi, and look forward to sharing with you what I’ve learned. 

No comments:

Post a Comment