Friday, October 28, 2022

Habits-Day 28




As much as you might think motivation is key to establishing a habit, environment is actually more important. 

According to Clear, “Every habit is context dependent.”
Clear continues, “People often choose products not because of what they are, but because of where they are.”

That’s probably why I eat completely differently when I’m at my daughter’s babysitting the boys. Different environment equals different food choices. 

Even the room you are in can help shape a habit. Of all cues, visual cues have the most control over our behavior. “A small change in what you see can lead to a big shift in what you do.”

In my kitchen/living area I have a set of cabinets I call Snack Central. It is separate from my pantry where all my other food is stored. Originally I thought this was a great idea, because it was so convenient. Every time I pass by snack central I’m reminded of the plethora of goodies hiding just behind its doors. 

In hindsight I don’t think this was such a great idea. 

Rather than being a victim to your environment Clear recommends being the architect of your environment. I think it’s time to rethink Snack Central if I want to develop better habits when it comes to snacking. 

No comments:

Post a Comment