Wednesday, October 26, 2022

Habits- Day 26

                                         



                                         So what is the best way to start a new habit?

James Clear in his book Atomic Habits has a pretty clear cut plan. Remember how a habit starts with a cue. Well according to Clear the two most common of these are time and location. 
Clear suggests using an Implementation Intention which is simply a plan you make ahead of time determining where and when you plan on acting. 

This is a much more effective way of accomplishing your goals. 

Clear states, “People who make a specific plan for where and when will perform a new habit, and are more likely to follow through.”

It’s not the motivation you are lacking rather it’s the clarity of what you are trying to do. 

Consider using this phrase as your guide:

I will (behavior) at (time) in (location)

At the beginning of the pandemic I walked faithfully up and down my long foyer each day for thirty minutes. I did this at 11:00 while watching a favorite show. I actually looked forward to that time because the reward of listening/watching the show made it easy and enjoyable. 
Sadly, since I’ve moved I’ve never reestablished that habit. 

Being specific about time and place helps you not to be derailed from your goals, and helps you to say No to something wanting to pull you off track. 

I want to set up an Implementation Intention again for walking. 

No comments:

Post a Comment