Thursday, October 13, 2022

Habits- Day 13

 


According to James Clear, author of Atomic Habits, there are three layers of behavioral change. 

Outcomes are about what you get. 

Processes are about what you do. 

Identity is about what you believe. 

Changing your outcomes is focused on results. This is the level where goals come into play. 

Changing your process revolves around changing your habits and systems.

Changing your identity, on the other hand, “is concerned with changing your beliefs, your worldview, your self-image, your judgements about yourself and others.”

What I find to be true about my perceived identity is that my actions don’t always coincide with what I profess to believe. 

Each time I grab an unhealthy snack I’m chipping away at what I thought I professed to be- a person who made healthy choices. 

Rather than focusing on what we want to achieve, Clear ascribes that we should focus on who we wish to become. 

In doing so we are building “identity- based habits” vs “outcome-based habits.”

No comments:

Post a Comment