Tuesday, October 18, 2022

Habits- Day 18



“Identity change is the North Star of habit change”
James Clear

According to Clear there is something called a “feedback loop.”

Basically, “Your habits shape your identity and your identity shapes your habits.”
What needs to drive this loop are your values and principles, rather than just your results.
Clear reminds us, “The focus should always be on becoming the type of person, not on getting a particular outcome.”

Focus first on who you want y to become, not so much on the what or how of achieving that. 
We all have the ability to change what we believe about ourselves. Oftentimes our beliefs are misguided, and based on past experiences which no longer really pertain to our current circumstances.

You are in the driver’s seat here. Your choices will reinforce both your identity and the habits that go along with how you see yourself. 

Full disclosure here: I recently received my cholesterol levels back, and they are the highest they’ve ever been. If identity as a person who values health this would be evidence contrary to that belief. If my food choices and sedentary life are an indication of my cholesterol score, than obviously I must identify as a person who doesn’t value good health. 

As I begin to change some of my habits I want them to align with my identity as a healthy person. 

No comments:

Post a Comment