Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Easily Influenced


Easily influenced. 

One of my shortcomings is that I am easily influenced. Luckily, this has not led to a life of crime, but it still bothers me that I am quick to assume that someone else surely knows better than I. My trusting nature, and general assumption that others intentions are good, often leads to this influence. 

In reflecting on this characteristic I have come to the conclusion that I have an innate desire to know and follow the truth. Each time I meet someone with a different world view than mine I find myself questioning my own. 

Now this may not necessarily be a bad thing, except that many times I have found myself drifting away from my beliefs simply because I didn't trust myself enough. 

I automatically jump to the conclusion that someone else must know better than I, and that maybe I should be more like them in my thinking. Rather than feel confident in what my belief system is I find myself thinking that it must be "less than" someone else's. 

I struggle with things that are not settled. As a Christian the differences of denominations has always been difficult for me to accept. I spend so much time trying to determine who is right that I begin to miss the point. 

There always seem to be competing views from politics to diets, and I just don't seem to be able to find that comfortable spot where I fit. I keep thinking that someone else must have the answer, and that if I keep on looking I will find it as well. 

I have no qualms with the idea of changing ones views as one grows in wisdom and maturity, but I do wish I trusted myself more to make the right choices. Perhaps just being more aware of this trait can help me to become better grounded in what I truly believe. 




No comments:

Post a Comment