Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Like a Shark


Like a shark. 

I remember once watching a show about sharks, and how they must remain in constant motion in order to live. I used to kiddingly remark about former classes that had to constantly be moving in order to remain somewhat under control. If for some unseen reason our line ever had to stop we were up a creek, and my little "sharks" would completely fall apart. 

Now what does this have to do about anything? Well actually, I'm reading a book by the creator of Grey's Anatomy and Scandal, Shondra Rimes entitled Year of Yes. It's title intrigued me as I know that I have a tendency to consider doing something new, but then conviently talking myself out of actually folllowing through. So far the book has basically been about Rimes intense reaction to being in the limelight. I'm seventy-nine pages in, and I'm wanting to say, Enough, already. I get it you are not comfortable being in new situations that include people!!!"

However, as I read about a commencement speech she gave in 2014 at her alma mater Dartmouth, I've come across a nugget of gold. A nugget that reminded me of the shark analogy. Rimes states when discussing the idea of dreams that, "You just have to keep doing something, seizing the next opportunity, staying open to trying something new."


Just like that shark that must remain in motion in order to live, we too must remain moving as well. As we enter a new year I find it appropriate to take Rimes lead, and to approach 2018 as a year of yes. I'm also hoping that the remainder of the book is a little more interesting than her fear of public humiliation. Yes, we get it!

No comments:

Post a Comment