Monday, January 8, 2018

Texas Winters



Texas winters. 

I've been enjoying Texas winters for the last fifty years. I moved here in sixth grade and found a little culture shock at my new public school. Apparently the kids in public school seemed way advanced to the parochial school kids from Florida. I hadn't been in school thirty minutes and some boy was already asking me to go "steady." 

Basically all that entailed was wearing his ID bracelet, but my Mom said, No way!" To be honest I was quite relieved because my mind was still on all things kid-like. I was much more content playing with my neighborhood friends in the vacant lot next door pretending it was exotic Czechoslovakia. Once two boys from my class stopped by, and seemed pretty perplexed at my attraction for the chalkrock cliff next door. Needless to say, it was a long time after that that I had my first real boyfriend!

However, one of the things that I have so loved about Texas is their beautiful winters. Although, we may have a share of frigid days, and an ice storm or two, we can always count on those beautiful blue-skied sunshiny days with temperatures hovering around the 60's. 

There is something about sunshine and fresh air that is just good for the soul. Cooper and I were able to get out the other day for the first time in a good while, and thoroughly enjoyed our walk. I had never seen so much water fowl on the lake, and almost felt like I was invading their territory. The word must have gotten out that Lake Carolyn is the place to be. 


When I think about the long, gray winters that many people endure in states further north, I thank my lucky stars or perhaps I should say Lone Star that my parents moved us to Texas back in the late sixties. You know what they say, "I may not have been born in Texas, but I got here as fast as I could!"

No comments:

Post a Comment