Monday, January 22, 2018

The Best Surprise of All


The best surprise of all. 

Almost twenty-nine years ago when I was pregnant with my daughter I did not have a sonogram to know the gender of our baby. My doctor did not do one unless there was some medical reason, and luckily my pregnancy was pretty text book. 

When my daughter was pregnant with our first grandchild she elected to find out ahead of time what sex the baby would be. We had a gender reveal party which added to the excitement of the impending birth. Our grandson was named and work soon began on his cowboy themed nursery. 

This time around our son-in-law and daughter chose not to find out ahead of time whether their baby would be a boy or girl. The element of surprise now became a factor in this pregnancy. Of course, we were more than thrilled when we found out Brittany was pregnant, and just assumed another gender reveal party was around the corner. 

Through out this pregnancy not knowing has been interesting. It's been fun kicking around the possibilities reminiscent of my own pregnancy. However, not knowing in this day and age has been different as well. I was glad when they shared with us the two name choices, and found myself counting down to the big day. 

Whether it would be a boy or a girl crossed my mind daily. On the one hand, a little brother for our first grandson would be a perfect running buddy for him, and yet the lure of cute girl outfits was calling my name. Either way I knew this new addition to our family would be perfect. 


We were pleasantly surprised when he made his entrance into the world, and felt very blessed to be grandparents to two little boys. Our first grandson seemed to know all along who was coming because he repeatedly said he wanted a brother. I look forward to watching these two brothers share many adventures together. 

4 comments: