Wednesday, January 3, 2018

A to Y


A to Y

Sue Grafton is the author of the mystery series that follows the alphabet. The first in the series, "A" is for Alibi was written in the early eighties, and her final novel was published just last year. 

Unfortunately Grafton passed away before she could write the last novel of the series "Z" is for Zero. I was surprised that I had not read any of her mysteries over the years, as I do recall being intrigued by the large letter of the alphabet that graced the cover of each.  

In the eighties my favorite authors were John Saul, Mary Higgins Clark, and Robin Cook. Each year I would anxiously await the paperback version of their new release as my budget didn't usually include the pricy hardbacks. Fiction was my genre of choice, and even through the parenting years I always made sure to read. Of course by then I had added John Grisham and Dan Brown into the mix. 

Grafton's passing caught my eye this past week as I found it somewhat ironic that the true final book of the series would not be written. "Y" is for Yesterday would have to suffice. I decided, though, that I would set the goal to read all of her mysteries this year.  

Yesterday I stopped by the library and picked up the first three books. I'm actually about halfway through A is for Alibi and am finding it enjoyable reading. The idea to read them all was inspired by a former second grade student of mine named John. He began reading the Magic Tree House series and became so enamored with the historical adventures that he asked to read them all. I made sure between the library and Half-Price books that he was able to do so. We celebrated his accomplishment in front of the entire school at our morning assembly. 

I like setting a goal that I can measure, so I'm off to the races. Grafton is interesting because she did not start her series until she was forty, although she had made her career as a screenwriter before. Sometimes we can write our age off as an excuse not to do something. Although, she never fully finished her goal she left behind a pretty impressive body of work that has kept fans wanting more.  

Here's to you Sue!

"Ideas are easy. It's the execution of ideas that really separates the sheep from the goats."
Sue Grafton 






No comments:

Post a Comment