Monday, November 6, 2017

Lighthouse Lamentations



Lighthouse lamentations. 

Chuck and I just returned from visiting his father in Florida. We enjoyed getting to visit with his Dad, brother and nephew, and had a fun time checking out the sights, including dipping our toes in the ocean. 

One of our excursions was a tour of an historical lighthouse which included the opportunity to climb to the top. Now what was I thinking, or perhaps I should say why was I not thinking! I embraced the challenge with the heart of a thirty year old. As I made my way to the top, all one hundred and five steps, I found myself winded and a little light headed when I got to the top. To be honest I don't remember my knees protesting at all. 

All I remember is wanting to get back down before I toppled back down those steps due to feeling light headed. Apparently, my knees were beginnng to pay the price, and continued to do so for the next few days as we walked quite a bit.

However, it was an encounter with an innocent recliner that might have done me in. After watching a movie in a reclined position with my leg flopped over on its side, I noticed a twinge of pain when I got up. It only continued to get worse, and I found myself in a wheelchair at the airport. 

That night my pain level rivaled childbirth, and I knew I was in trouble. After a trip to the doctor I was relieved to learn that I had strained it, and probably had pulled a ligament. I had already imagined a possible surgery, and was not relishing the thought. 

Per doctor's orders I'm on bedrest for the next few days, and my sweet husband is taking care of all three of us. (Cat and dog included.) 

What I've come to realize is that I really need to make sure my calves and thighs are strong enough to help support my knees in the future. My advice to you is probably don't seek out a lighthouse to climb! Especially if you are over sixty. 

No comments:

Post a Comment