Wednesday, November 8, 2017

The Garlic Press


The garlic press.

Well it's a sad day in our household, as my beloved garlic press has finally bit the dust. Now I know that most people may not have such an attachment to a cooking utensil, but this  little press symbolizes so much more than a convenient way to mince garlic. 

It was about twenty years ago that I attended my first Pampered Chef party, and was introduced to quality cooking utensils. Now although, the garlic press was not my first purchase it ranked right in there with the first five. At that time I was still uncertain about the difference between a clove or a pod of garlic, and had relied on the powdered version in my cooking. 

What my garlic press did for me was open the door to a whole new way of cooking. Up until then I considered myself the queen of the twenty minute meal. Of course being a working mom didn't really allow me too much time to devote to culinary endeavors, and I had gotten pretty good at opening cans and boxes in order to provide a nightly meal for my family. 

What I discovered with the addition of real garlic to my meals was a total flavor explosion.  The garlic press then led to a chef's knife which I had always avoided due to too many scary movies as a kid. Paired with a large chopping board, I found that ingredients like onions and peppers could make a bland hamburger goulash rise to a new level. 

Today I've ventured even further with new recipes, new ingredients, and new cooking utensils. I'm finding that using fresh ingredients makes all the difference in the world, and I have to pay tribute to that hard working garlic press who gave his all over all these years. 

I'll be making a trip to the store to find a new one, but can't help feeling a little sad as I put this little guy to rest. Just like a mechanic depends on quality tools, cooking is no different, and investing in the proper equipment can make the job more enjoyable and the results more tasty. 


2 comments: