Monday, November 27, 2017

Would You Want To Know?


Would you want to know?

In perusing the Black Friday ads this year I came across a sale on a DNA testing kit. Now a few years ago I did have my DNA tested to determine my ancestry. To be honest it pretty much confirmed what I already knew, but it was interesting. 

This DNA test, however, not only tested your ancestry, but your genetic traits and health risks as well. One of the markers tested was the risk of Late-Onset Alzheimer's. One thing I learned during my father's stint with dementia is that if you live long enough your chances of having this disease is about one in two. Technically, these really aren't very good odds. 

Would knowing twenty-five years in advance make any difference in preventing this disease? Or would the impending doom make for a life filled with anxiety and fear?  Interestingly, they included the disclaimer that even if you do not have the genetic traits you still might end up with Alzheimer's in the future. 

I wonder how my Dad would have felt if he had known ahead of time that the last two years of his life would be spent in Memory Care? Or was there a blessing in that he did not have have complete awareness of his circumstances, and primarily lived in the moment, not worrying about tomorrow or regretting the past?  

I think I'd rather not know, but take actions to do all I can to prevent the disease. I have read about building brain reserves, kind of like a cognitive bank account. Through diet, exercise, socialization, faith, and providing experiences that are "novel and hard" the brain has been shown to combat this cognitive decline. 


 There is so much we don't know, but what we do know is that our population is aging and living well into our eighties and nineties. Starting today we may be able to provide a brighter future for ourselves and our families, not by ordering a kit, but by taking personal responsibility over the things we may have some control over. 

No comments:

Post a Comment