Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Here We Go Again



Here we go again. 

A year ago Chuck and I began the process of downsizing. We probably culled down to about a third of our possessions, but there were some things we were not ready to part with yet.  

They were packed and moved to our new apartment where they found their home in our second bedroom closet/storage facility. They have remained there for the last eight months untouched, partially because they were impossible to retrieve. 

As time has gone by I have begun to realize that some of the things I could not part with last year are really no longer that important to me. To be honest a lot of my possessions were decorations for a full-size house which I no longer own. 

So this week I drug everything out of the closet, and began the decluttering drill all over again.  As I'm going through the mountain of stuff I'm finding it easier to part with most of it. Possessions that spend their time tucked away in a closet are not really useful or practical when they take up valuable space. 

Of course, there are still sentimental pieces that I want to hold on to for now. It appears that this downsizing thing is kind of like peeling an onion. It keeps getting smaller as you peel away the layers, but you might just end up with a good cry. 

Our end game is to take a lesson from the younger people in our apartment complex who seem to be able to pull up with a U-Haul when moving, and drive away in about thirty minutes with all their worldly possessions in tow.

So for now I'll go through the things I own one more time, and hold onto the things I still find important, knowing that I may change my mind a year from now, and let go of a few more things. 


No comments:

Post a Comment