Friday, November 10, 2017

The Friendly Skies


The friendly skies. 

If you've traveled recently you may have noticed that your flight attendant looks a lot like you. Now this may not seem remarkable, but there once was a time when this was not the case. 

To be a flight attendant, or should I say stewardess, in the 1970's it was required that you were young, beautiful and a woman. I can remember considering the career, but quickly discounting it because although I was young and a woman, I didn't feel confident that my looks were enough.  

In fact, my best friend, and I decided that the only way we could receive the flight benefits was to work the ticket counter. Being a stewardess seemed an impossible dream. I know it was for my sister who was turned away because she was just a little too short. 

A friend of mine flew with Southwest back when they were known for their hot pants and roasted peanuts. She was the first attendant to fly while pregnant which was considered very cutting edge at the time. 


Now flight attendants today are my age with corresponding waist lines. Men have joined the ranks as well. I think it's probably better this way. However, it's interesting how things have changed when it comes to flying the friendly skies. 

No comments:

Post a Comment