Thursday, November 9, 2017

Tiny Homes Revisited


Tiny homes revisited. 

Well my bubble burst a little over a week ago when I attended the Tiny House Jamboree. I had fallen in love with the romantic notion of living tiny, but the reality faced me square in the face when I got to actually go inside about twenty of these tiny abodes.

No matter what their actual size they ALL were WAY too small. I used to think that maybe one person could live alone in these tiny dwellings, but after my encounter with the real deal I'm afraid the width alone is just too prohibitive. 

As I made my way through the crowd of giddy potential home buyers, I couldn't help but wonder how they might feel after living a year or two in the micro hermitages? One thing for sure, if you choose tiny you might as well forget about clothing. Apparently these homes come sans closets. 

One thing that I noticed that seemed a little disconcerting was a young couple with three young children, and one on the way all crammed together in a dwelling less than 250 square feet. It was a modern day Old Woman and the Shoe!

As much as the dream of the tiny house may seem appealing, some recent research is finding that living in such a tiny space may not be good for your mental health, as well as locating land that accepts tiny homes are few and far between. One couple I read about gave up the life because they tired of rural living and missed the local coffee shop and the library. 

I've even read about tiny home theft being a real thing. I guess they really are just a little too portable. My practical side wonders about things like insurance, and resale value. Do these things depreciate in value? I'm also finding that these homes can hover around one hundred thousand if you prefer luxury amenities. 

The tiny house mindset of living in a home you can afford, allowing you to have more money for other pursuits, and being able to easily move from place to place may be appealing, but then again its downfalls might just be too difficult for day to day living. Downsizing is one thing, but this may just be too extreme. I suppose only time will tell to see if this trend becomes a viable lifestyle or a passing fad. 


2 comments:

  1. Appreciate your insight. I am watching a couple build a tiny house. It all seems pretty romantic and it is taking a lot of energy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I still see value in it all, but I guess I realized I probably couldn't do it. I just posted an article on Face Book showing another consideration. I know they seem to be popular in the Northwest, and in the Austin area of Texas.

      Delete