Thursday, November 23, 2017

Thanksgiving Memories


Thanksgiving memories. 

Growing up Thanksgiving was generally spent with my immediate family. Of course, eight people make for a pretty good crowd, and since we rarely lived close to extended family I never really knew any different. 

Mom would baste a Butterball turkey throughout the morning, and would stuff it with the best stuffing ever. She would use an old New England favorite called Bell's Seasoning. It's familiar packaging with the turkey on the front still brings back memories of Thanksgivings past. 

Her famous mashed potatoes, a daily occurance at our house, became more special with her pan drippings turkey gravy. Her delicious fruit cocktail salad with mini-marshmallows, coconut, and whipped cream was always a fan favorite. 

This delightful meal unfortunately was always marred by her insistence on serving bright orange squash, which I found completely disgusting. Luckily, I think she bent her rule of plate clearing on that special day, so it left more room for cranberry sauce, and hot rolls slathered in  butter. 

As I compare my Thanksgiving preparations to hers my turkey has always been cooked in a roasting bag, my stuffing has become cornbread dressing, the squash has been replaced with sweet potato casserole, and my daughter has even added homemade macaroni and cheese to the menu. Although, my gravy comes from a jar I do mash potatoes each year sometimes with her potato masher. Cool whip is the go-to in the fruit salad, and my homemade pumpkin pie is my husband's favorite. 

Regardless of the menu, Thanksgiving has always been a favorite of mine, and I have enjoyed hosting the feast at my home over the years. My love of history always made teaching about  the first Thanksgiving to my students one of my favorite units. It didn't seem quite right my first year of retirement not crafting a Native American vest out of a brown paper sack. 

Wishing you and your family a Happy Thanksgiving, and a reminder not to forget the blessings that abound. 

"The thankful receiver bears a plentiful harvest."
William Blake


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing about your Thanksgiving. Mashed potatoes everyday? This year I mashed sweet potatoes and garlic. Wow! Too much garlic for everyone around me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they were a staple in our home. I'm thinking being Irish might have had something to do with it!

      Delete