Monday, November 20, 2017

Handcrafted


Handcrafted. 

I don't know what it is about things that are made by hand, but I find myself drawn to their craftsmanship. There was a time when all things were homemade, and learning the art of such things was just a given. 

Today most everything comes from a store, usually big box, and is often times mass-produced in a far away factory by a machine. That is why my stop by an unsuspecting artisan soap shop in a small country town was so surprising. 

I found inside a plethora of handcrafted soap, from oatmeal to olive oil, and was delighted by each. I splurged that day on several bars, and have found myself enjoying them ever since. The difference between my usual storebought soap, and these handcrafted bars is evident by their quality.

Although, they cost considerably more, I liked the idea of supporting an artisan, and their attempts to continue a long lost art. I have considered making my own soap after viewing several examples on Pinterest. 

My hesitation has been that they are made of lye which apparently requires caution. However, after my soap experience of recent, I might just give it a try. I like the idea of learning how to make things on our own, and not be so dependent on others for all our consumer needs. 

As Chuck and I consider our next adventure in a few years after he retires,  we would like to relocate to some land in the country. I see myself raising chickens, learning how to garden and can the produce we grow, as well as making things like homemade bread and soap. 


So for now I'll continue to enjoy my bars of soap each time I wash my hands, and know that the little specialty soap store is right on my way to visit my daughter, son-in-law, and grandson. 

No comments:

Post a Comment