Friday, November 24, 2017

Smarter


Smarter. 

"You have to get smarter first. If you do not know good advice from bad, any advice will do."
Robert T. Kiyosaki

In my quest to think more critically I have come to realize that I must continue to learn new things. However, what I am finding to be true, is that it seems a little harder today than it used to be.

I'm not sure if there truly is a cognitive reason for this, or if it has more to do with the kinds of things I'm learning? I'm finding myself branching out into areas I have not studied before. 

As a reading teacher I learned that in order for a student to comprehend what they are reading they have to have some sort of background knowledge about the subject. The more real life experiences or background knowledge the easier it is to understand what you are reading. 

Today I find myself reading about finance, economics, business, religion and even some sciences. Unfortunately, my formal education was limited primarily to history and educational pedagogy. My background knowledge, or schema is limited in these other areas. 

I am finding some information to be going completely over my head, and I can relate more clearly to some of the struggles of my former students. However, I don't let this keep me from preservering. 

Information is coming at us at such a rapid fire speed today that it can be overwhelming. However, the ease of access should not be overlooked. Although, easier to depend on someone else, taking personal responsibility, and putting forth the effort required is probably the most beneficial in the long run. 

My goal to continue to become "smarter" allows mt to always be learning something new. My desire to think more critically results in putting this new learning to good use. 

I encourage all to be on this path.


2 comments:

  1. I appreciate your encouragement. I get overwhelmed with the sheer expanse of information.

    ReplyDelete