Monday, August 14, 2017

Not Missing It


Not missing it. 

Well I can honestly say that after eight years I don't get that same twinge when I pass by the Back to School displays that I used to. I was at Walmart the other day, and as I walked out of the store like every other non-teacher I realized that I had crossed over to the other side. 

During my early retirement years I found myself drawn toward the Crayola markers, the glue sticks and the composition notebooks. I'd stock up just in case, and when I tutored part-time I still had an excuse to participate in the yearly ritual of all things school supply. 

Earlier this summer I did pick up a few things to donate to our apartment school supply drive, but I did so with no hesitation. For me it took a long time to transition away from elementary school teacher, but to quote a good friend, "I'll always be a teacher at heart." It's just that I don't miss getting my classroom ready for the year, buying Elmer's glue since the district took it off the list, or the beginning of the year staff development. I do miss the smiles on my student's faces when they enter the classroom ready for another day of learning, though. I guess you never really get past that. 


Best wishes to all my teacher friends for a great start of the year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment