Monday, August 28, 2017

Patience


Patience. 

I often remind my husband that I'm not a naturally patient person. Any patience I do have has been learned after thirty years of teaching. I do most things quickly, including talking, and have a difficult time waiting. I'd rather go inside than wait in a drive through, and I'm known for traveling all the back roads to avoid the traffic. This might have been an inherited trait as my father was the same way. 

 Ralph Waldo Emerson said of patience, "Adopt the pace of nature; her secret is patience." 

As a lover of nature I found these words to be true, and was reminded of the summer I decided to do some container gardening. What I soon learned was that if I was depended on my crop I would have starved. Nothing happens quickly, requires constant watering in the hot summer sun, and often time produces less than stellar results. After my one inch bell pepper, my bird-pecked tomatoes, and my non-existent jalapeños.  I told Chuck that I would be spending my $35.00 next year at the farmers market! 

Although, I am not naturally patient, I do see the value of patience, and strive to make it a part of my life. I've found this easier to do by taking life one day at a time. In my earlier years I would always be looking toward the next thing, and counting impatiently as I did so. 

Of course, it has become easier now that I'm older, and time literally flies. I blink and the new month has appeared on my calendar with me scratching my head in disbelief that it had flown by so quickly. 


So rather than always rushing through impatiently anticipating the next thing, take a cue from nature, and slow down your pace enjoying the now.

No comments:

Post a Comment