Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Change the Plan


Change the plan. 

If you are like me, you like to have a plan when it comes to doing things.  If there is something I want to accomplish I generally have some sort of plan, and I'm pretty good at sticking to the plan. I just keep plodding along until I get there. Most of the time this works. 


Except for when it doesn't. As good as plans might be, sometimes they just don't work, and they require a new plan. So rather than give up, it's best to just change the plan. I began my weight loss journey back in April when it became apparent that nothing fit anymore. I had given away my "just in case" sized clothes months before in hopes that by not having them anymore I would not allow myself to gain weight. 

Unfortunately life sometimes gets in the way, and here I was a year later about fifteen pounds heavier. So I did what I always do, and went back to Weight Watchers. Now I will be the first to tell you, that for me, this is a really good plan. Being on Weight Watchers allows me a way to track my food, have the support of others in the same situation, and to be accountable to myself. However, what I've noticed as I've gotten older is that what used to come off quickly and easily now seems to creep off. Yes, each week I was losing weight, but always less than a pound. 

My Weight Watcher leader would remind me that a loss is a loss, and she was correct, except my snail-like pace was not helping my motivation as the weeks went by. I decided I needed to change the plan a little.  After checking into a more plant-based diet I decided to give it a try. I added more vegetables and legumes to my diet along with fruits and grains. I limited my meat consumption, and avoided dairy because of its high fat content.  

What I found was that for the next several weeks my loss was over a pound. The scale began dropping, and I was challenging myself each week to try new plant-based options. To be honest, I've been blown away at how delicious my meals have become. Now when I do reach my goal, and am on maintenance i know I will have to change the plan again. However, what I have learned is that giving up is not the answer. Changing the plan might be the better way. 





2 comments: