Tuesday, August 1, 2017

Food Adventure


Food adventure. 

I've been on a food adventure lately.  As I've been exploring healthy eating habits I'm finding myself on a food scavenger hunt. Now the beauty of retirement is that you do have the time to do this, and checking out different grocery venues have kind of become my golf game. 

I'm lucky that I'm so centrally located that I can be at either Sprouts, Whole Foods, Central Market, Trader Joe's, Aldi, or even a week-day Farmer's Market all within fifteen minutes. 

The result has been a whole lot of fresh fruits and vegetables, some specialty items, and many yummy meals. As I'm reading and researching I'm beginning to lean more toward primarily plant-based eating with limited dairy and oils. My motivation seems to be centered around keeping my brain healthy, and possibly not having to suffer from dementia in my older years. 

Now you might think that I'm lamenting having to give up some of my favorite foods, but if truth be told I'm actually finding foods that I really enjoy. The other night Chuck and I tried some vegetable fajitas at Mattito's Tex Mex and they were darn tasty. The veggies had been roasted and still had a crispness to them, and partnered with some guacamole and pico de gallo on a corn tortilla they made for a pretty tasty meal. 


What I'm discovering is that if you allow yourself the opportunity to try something new you might be quite surprised at how much you like it. It's actually been a lot of fun, and I find myself searching the internet looking for food ideas. In fact, I just recently learned about a new grain called freekeh. Now technically I can't even pronounce it, but I can't wait to give it a try. 

No comments:

Post a Comment