Thursday, August 10, 2017

Novel and Complex


Novel and complex. 

One of the five categories that author Paul David Nussbaum writes about in his book, Save Your Brain, is mental stimulation. This domain has to do with the types of activities that you engage in that are good for your brain. 

Nussbaum writes, "The human brain seeks stimulation regardless of age." As we think about our golden years we might see ourselves doing our favorite hobbies and activities. Although, there is nothing wrong with this, if you think that these already mastered activities are going to keep your mind sharp then you might want to think again. 

The brain actually responds best to new activities that are novel and complex. If something is familiar and easy then the brain is not forming those new connections that helps its plasticity to remain. When I first learned to crotchet it was tedious and difficult for me. Trying to get my fingers to cooperate was a challenge. However, over time I found myself beginning to find a rhythm. I even discovered my favorite stitch, and spent many enjoyable hours repeating my beloved double crotchet. 

Now I might have thought that my new found hobby was beneficial  to my brain health, but in allowing it to become easy and routine I was not truly benefiting from all it had to offer. What I've since learned is that I need to continue to learn new things; like how to read a pattern, how to make a granny square, and how to do other stitches. My reluctance to do so had more to do with it being difficult, and my brain's natural inclination toward ease. 

Learning a new language, how to play an instrument, or a new board game are all better for your brain than sticking to those things you already know. Even reading about areas you are not familiar with causes you to work harder at comprehending the information.  When choosing something new ask yourself if it's novel and complex? If so then you are on the right track to better brain health. 


No comments:

Post a Comment