Monday, August 7, 2017

The Questioner


The questioner.

I can't say that you could ever classify me as a rebel type. I'm generally pretty conforming, and don't like to draw too much attention to myself. I've been known to say more times than not that the rules are my friends. 



Except that in the midst of all that I am a questioner. I find myself wanting to know why? Once when Chuck and I were visiting Thomas Jefferson's home Monticello, we were bombarded by an annoying twelve year old who kept asking too many questions of the tour guide. We laughed about it later, but I could see a lot of myself in that annoying twelve year old. 

In reading Dr. Phil Johnson's book, Lead Like a Heretic, I find myself inspired to march to that different drum, rather than just follow along. I really never have been one to do something just because everyone else was, and I am not easily talked into doing things I don't want to do. However, the paradox here is that as different as I have been I've always wished I was more like others. 

Fitting in has always been important to me, and yet I've always felt a little out of alignment. In reading Johnson's book you realize that those throughout history that have made the greatest impact were those who didn't quite fit in with the status quo. They were able to question why, and had the courage to try something new. 


Accepting something because it's always been done that way, might not be the best approach. Daring to think differently might be the better way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment