Tuesday, November 1, 2016

W.A.I.T.


W.A.I.T.

Why am I talking?

I have a habit of talking too much. Ever since I retired from teaching full-time it seems to have gotten worse. Not having that built in social network of work does seem to contribute to my need to overly express myself. Unfortunately, my poor husband seems to get the brunt of it. Lucky for me he really is quite sweet about endulging me, and doesn't complain too much. 

However, sometimes you don't really get it until you see yourself in someone else's actions. And generally that vision is not always flattering. Not too long ago I attended a series of meetings where one particular person seemed to hijack the discussion. Repeatedly she would interject her opinion, and to be honest it began to become annoying. 

As I listened to her comments it hit me that she reminded me of someone else I knew; that being me. For the first time I truly realized that my need to overly express myself was not all that endearing. 

I remembered an acronym I had heard before; W.A.I.T. Why am I talking? If I'm smart I'll remember that the next time I'm commandeering the conversation. 



No comments:

Post a Comment