Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Count Your Blessings


Count your blessings. 

I find myself sometimes envious of my friends whose elderly parents are still living independently. It wasn't so long ago that was the case for my Dad. 

I remember that when I would visit he had the habit of telling the same stories over and over again. At the time I knew that someday he would not be here to tell those stories, so I never really minded hearing them. 

What I hadn't counted on was his inability to express himself due to dementia. My misconception was that dementia was all about memory. Although, that is a part of the disease there are many other symptoms as well. 

Although, Dad does seem to recognize his family, his speech is incomprehensible leaving you with a sense of sadness and loss. You know that he is attempting to communicate with you, but his brain just doesn't seem to be cooperating. 

Oh, what I would give to hear those once familiar stories over again. Dad's quick wit and laugh is also something I miss each day. 


Treasure those moments you have with your elderly parents, because they certainly are not guaranteed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment