Friday, November 4, 2016

Communication


Communication. 

"The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply." 

Ouch, that one sure hits home. I have a mind that seems to run a million miles an hour. My words pop out so quickly I rarely have an opportunity to edit them. I'm always thinking about the next really brilliant thing I want to say. 

I've rightly been called argumentative by my poor husband. He often says I've missed my calling by not becoming an attorney. However, I know it can be a really annoying trait over thirty-one years of marriage. 

Although, some of my words might be worth giving a second thought, the problem is that when I fail to truly listen then my capacity to understand is squelched. When I'm so busy crafting a rebuttal then I lose out on another's point of view. 

I want to make a conscious effort to be an active listener in hopes of understanding others more. 



No comments:

Post a Comment