Thursday, November 10, 2016

Change Your Environment


Change your environment. 

In an article by David J. Barczyk he writes about ways to possibly prevent dementia in your future. Along with familiar ideas like diet and exercise, he writes about how changing your environment can have a positive effect on brain health. 

"It may seem counterintuitive, but look for ways to struggle a bit and challenge your brain. Take a different route to work.  If you usually go left, go right. Do something different. Change your routine."

Even small changes in routine can be motivating. As much as our brain seems to crave the familiar, it responds quite nicely to novelty. Unfortunately, as I've gotten older I find it so much easier to remain closer to home in the comfort of my routine. In my younger days I was always up for the next new adventure. Now I wonder about the size of the crowd or the weather, or if I'm going to have to drive home after dark. Who am I? 



I'm afraid I'm going to regret my fuddy duddy ways if I'm not careful. Besides, changing my environment sounds a lot more fun than an hour at the gym or a lunch of carrot sticks and lettuce. 

1 comment:

  1. I understand your concern. When I have days that unfold with unexpected drama, I am so uncomfortable. I should want to embrace the serendipitous day.

    ReplyDelete