Monday, April 24, 2017

Living Off Grid


Living off grid. 

Now most of the time when you think about living off grid you imagine someone deep in the woods depending on rainwater and solar panels 
to get by. Well I have none of these, but since moving to my new apartment, I've definitely been doing some off grid living when it comes to the roads. 

Having just moved from the flat spaces of former pasture land, which was designed basically in a grid-like fashion, it's taking a little more time to make sense of the twists and turns of my current location. It appears that there isn't a straight road anywhere in the Las Colinas area, not to mention the unexpected hills. 

Everything seems to meander in a curve, and with all the interesecting highways it makes it a little tricky to find your way. It brings back memories of my time as a flower delivery girl back in college. During the seventies when gas was relatively cheap florists actually delivered their flowers all around the Dallas area. It was interesting how many times I found myself lost that I would soon have another delivery in that now familiar area. I had failed to mention to the owner at my interview that I had only traveled once across town on my own prior to getting the job. Back then you relied heavily on a Mapsco, unlike the built-in GPS systems of today. 



Although living on grid might be easier and more comfortable, I'm enjoying the challenge my off grid living is presenting. Now back to  Google Maps!

No comments:

Post a Comment