Friday, April 14, 2017

Growing Up



Growing up.

Yesterday I received a crying emoji laced text from my daughter. She was bemoaning the fact that her soon to be seventeen month old son was no longer a baby. He could sleep without the security of his Zipadee-Zip, he could sit up in the bathtub on his own, and he was using a spoon to eat his cereal. 

I got to thinking about how bittersweet all those milestones are. As each one is reached babyhood slowly creeps away. I also got to thinking about how at the time I never realized that each of those things would be the last time I would experience them. I didn't know that I would not have anymore children. I just assumed that Brittany would have at least one brother or sister. So as she sailed through those milestones I kept on unaware that maybe I should have treasured them more in my heart. 

Chuck and I had made the decision to not rush away any age or stage. We made our way through each age enjoying what it would bring, and making the best of its challenges. I can't say I have any regrets with that decision. 

What I am enjoying today is getting to relive some of those moments through our grandson. Not being distracted by the responsibilities of parenthood has really added to the joy of being a grandparent. 



I must agree, though, with Brittany that it is a little sad to see those baby years fall behind as he makes his way to being a big boy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment