Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Getting Too Comfortable


Getting too comfortable. 

I'm reading The Magnolia Story by Chip and Joanna Gaines, and I highly recommend it if you are a Fixer-Upper fan. Chip is certainly an interesting fellow, and Joanna keeps reiterating the fact that you can't put him in a box.

Although, Chip and my personality are day and night, I could relate to one thing he mentioned about comfort. His exact words were, "We were getting comfortable in that house. And I've gotta say, I don't like it when things get too comfortable."

Now as paradoxical as it might sound, although I am often drawn to the comfort of the familiar, after a while I don't like it, and find myself wanting a change. I keep wanting to move on to the next thing, whether it be grade level, home or church. 

Eighteen years was way too long to have spent in our last home. I remember spending six years in a row teaching kindergarten, and doubting I could teacher anything else. I didn't like that feeling. 

In getting "too comfortable" you stop taking risks, you stop putting yourself out there, and you stop exploring the unknown. Although, I doubt I'll ever feel as comfortable as Chip when it comes to change, I don't want to lose sight of the fact that there is always something new around the corner to be experienced. 

"Life's not meant to be lived in one place." 


Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment