Monday, March 6, 2017

The Butterfly and the Bird


The butterfly and the bird. 

I was watching a video of a butterfly release the other day by a friend of mine who is an art teacher at one of our local middle schools. I couldn't help but be reminded of a butterfly release that happened at my school. 

One of my sweet students proudly brought a butterfly to school that she had raised from a caterpillar. She was excited to share its release with her classmates. 

We headed out to the playground jar in hand and gathered around for the big event. I couldn't help but take advantage of the teachable moment as we discussed the metamorphosis of the now beautiful butterfly. 

As my student unscrewed the lid of the jar my class cheered as the butterfly flew off. Our glee turned to dismay as we witnessed a large bird swoop in for an untimely meal. All at once in unison we all yelled, "Nooo!" and ran toward the winged fiend. 

Luckily, the butterfly made it away safely to live another day, and the bird flew away hungry. Again, another teachable moment about the food chain and the circle of life. 



No comments:

Post a Comment