Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Relearning


Relearning. 

"Where there is learning, there is always relearning." Erin Loechner in her book Chasing Slow writes about out this often overlooked point concerning personal growth. We naively convince ourselves that after having mastered new learning it will never have to be addressed again. 


I found myself in a unique situation a while back. As much as I had convinced myself that I had evolved from that uncertain teenaged girl, and had all the confidence in the world I found myself to be wrong. I felt so uncomfortable and akward that I really had no idea how to handle the situation. In fact, I didn't handle it well at all, and when I returned home I was quite disappointed in myself. 

What I had failed to realize was that there was some relearning needed in my life. As much as I'd thought I had left those insecurities behind, put in the right circumstances, I was that sixteen year old girl again. What the situation did teach me was that maybe some of that confidence was only surface level, and a way to mask some real fears about acceptance and rejection. 

So it's time to do some relearning, and to allow myself some grace when I'm feeling unsure of myself. 



No comments:

Post a Comment