Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Nativity Scene


Nativity scene. 

As a child one of my favorite parts of Christmas was placing the baby Jesus in our family nativity scene. As much as I loved Santa, gifts, stockings, candy canes, and Christmas carols, I always loved being reminded of the true reason for the season. 

A few years ago I received a very special gift from my sweet daughter. She has searched several Hallmark stores to gift me with the beautiful  Willow Tree Angel nativity set. Each year I look forward to displaying it proudly on my fireplace mantle. It holds this place of honor through the Epiphany in early January. 

Several years ago I picked up the Fisher Price Nativity set in hopes that someday I might have a grandchild. On my last trip to visit my grandson I was able to bring along this treasure. He seemed quite enamored by the star that lit up when you pushed the button. Each time he heard the carol Away in a Manger his little legs would begin to dance. He also loved the little donkey cart which he pushed around as if it was one of his beloved cars. Anything with buttons or wheels is right up his alley. 



More than anything, though, I was honored to pass down this tradition to my grandson, and the real reason we celebrate Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment