Monday, December 19, 2016

The Garlic Press


The garlic press.

As I was making chili the other night I couldn't help but be reminded of my love affair with my garlic press. Prior to its ownership twenty years ago I was a garlic novice. If you had asked me the difference between a clove and a pod I would not have been able to tell you. 

However, many moons ago I purchased a garlic press from Pampered Chef and have never looked back. Up until that time I had relied heavily on garlic powder or garlic salt not really knowing for sure which was used for what? Starting to cook with actual garlic opened a whole new world to me and my family's dining pleasure. Considering how it raised my cooking to a whole new level it was almost criminal that I had waited so long to use it. Between the garlic press, a chef's knife and a large chopping board you would have thought I was Rachel Ray's sister or something. 

Just by adding fresh ingredients I was able to leave behind my old Hamburger Helper days. Of course when you're teaching all day, and taking care of a daughter you really don't have all that much time to spend in the kitchen. I used to brag that I was Queen of the Twenty Minute Meal. Although, we sat down to dinner as a family each night, most of it did come from either a box or a can. 

Once I conquered my fear of getting it wrong, I took to heart the reality that when it comes to cooking you win some and you lose some, but that's okay. Over time you find yourself winning more than losing, and taking that first garlicky step made all the difference. Just ask my husband.



No comments:

Post a Comment