Thursday, December 22, 2016

My Aunt


My aunt. 

My aunt is my father's only living sibling. She turned ninety this year and is still sharp as a tack. The first time I ever met her was in third grade when she was allowed to return home from the convent after many years. A big family celebration ensued, and the fact that my school had a field trip planned to visit the Statue of Liberty that weekend didn't seem to 
matter much to my dad. To this day I haven't made it back to see Lady Liberty. 

Fast forward about fifty years, and our lives have intersected once again due to my Dad's dementia. We speak regularly to keep her updated about her younger brother. In fact last year she traveled to Dallas from Boston unaccompanied to visit him. I was pretty impressed, and loved her gumption. 

This Christmas I wanted to send her a little gift from Dad. I ordered her a box of See's Candies, and went off on my merry way thinking I'd chosen the perfect gift. It wasn't until the next day that it hit me like a ton of bricks that my poor aunt was a diabetic. Candy of all things was the worst gift possible. I quickly tried to cancel the order, but found that it was already being processed, and was scheduled for delivery. 

Yesterday I received a call from her thanking me for the gift. I confessed my gifting faux pas, and apologized for my gift choice. She quickly assured me that all was well, and that she didn't worry too much about that kind of stuff. I guess a little chocolate is okay when you're ninety. Gotta love her!




No comments:

Post a Comment