Friday, December 2, 2016

Destination


Destination. 

Author Henry Miller wrote, "One's destination is never a place, but rather a new way of seeing things." This is an interesting way of looking at things. It's easy to get caught up in thinking about the future. The next new home, vacation or move, and how somehow that next new place is going to be better than today. You might be correct, but as good as it might sound nothing is ever perfect.  There will always be pros and cons to any destination. 

As my husband and I dream about our retirement years we like to envision ourselves living the country life on our farm. Although, there are many advantages to that life our beloved city conviences will be no more. On the other hand my daily struggle with the surrounding traffic makes the peace and solitude of the country even more appealing. 

But, the reality is that this move will probably not happen anytime soon, so placing today on hold is not really a wise decision. What I have learned and have to agree with Mr. Miller is that life is really more about the way you choose to look at it. My happiness does not have to be based on a destination I may or may not reach. What is more valuable is the time I am given wherever I might reside. That is the resource that cannot be renewed. 



I don't want to waste the time that I've been given wishing for a different life. I'd rather adjust my attitude and enjoy the journey.

1 comment:

  1. So if we continue learning and changing perspectives that is as good as actually changing locations? You may be right.

    ReplyDelete